Welcome to Irvinebank, North Queensland, Australia

.


WELCOME   LOCATION   HISTORY   HERITAGE BUILDINGS   LOUDOUN HOUSE MUSEUM   CONTACT US
{header}
Irvinebank History
.
Old Irvinebank
click on image to enlarge
 

Originally known as Gibb's Camp, the name was changed to Irvinebank by North Queensland mining legend John Moffat to remind him of his birth place of Newmilns on the river Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland.

John Moffat purchased the original claims from Gibb's and party in 1883. By 1884 Moffat had erected a battery and smelter which was to become the largest smelter in Australia for a number of years.

 
 

As the town developed, mail and coach services were established, followed by a school, police station, post and telegraph office and a school of arts.

The town was gazetted for land sales in 1886. As mining operations expanded and became profitable, Irvinebank developed into a thriving community.

 

Workers at ore crushing battery 1912

 
 

You can find out more about this amazing story by visiting the 121 year old home of John Moffat which is now Loudoun House Museum.

.
Heritage buildings of Irvingbank of Irvinebank, North Queensland, Australia.
Irvinebank has a fine collection of historic buildings some of which are listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Register of the National Estate. Several of the buildings are open to the public, others are open only during town events, and a few are private residences.
.
Loudoun House  
(1884) Open to the public.
This former home of John Moffat, is now a living museum with a remarkable historical collection. The house is built of red cedar and is the oldest high-set timber and corrugated iron house in North Queensland. It was from this house that John Moffat controlled his vast mining empire. John Moffat retired from Irvinebank in 1912. His Irvinebank Mining Company was eventually sold to the Queensland State Government in 1919.
 
In 1984, Loudoun House was made a museum reserve in trusted to the people of Irvinebank. Loudoun House is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Heritage Register of the National Estate. Loudoun House Museum is a non profit organisation.
details of Loudoun House Museum and opening hours..
.
Irvinebank School of Arts Irvingbank School of Arts
(1900) Open to the public by appointment only.
This magnificent building was officially opened on the 26th December 1900 with a grand ball. Built of red cedar, white beech and hoop pine it is the third School of Arts hall for Irvinebank and has served this community for over 100 years and is still used for many social events.
 
The hall has seen many forms of entertainment over the years with many of entertainers autographing the walls on the stage to record their performance. One of the most noted performers to have autographed the walls was Gladys Moncrief. The Irvinebank School of Arts Hall is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Heritage Register of the National Estate.
.
Queensland National Bank  

Queensland National Bank at Irvingbank.
(1905) Not open to the public.
Built by John Moffat, the old Queensland National Bank is the only brick building remaining in Irvinebank.

The Queensland National Bank rented the premises for 30 shillings per week.

 
. It served as a bank from the 6th July 1905 until it closed due to business decline on the 30th April 1923. After it's closure the building was rented as a private residence. Until recently the downstairs bank chamber was in original condition. The old Queensland National Bank is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Heritage Register of the National Estate.
. .
State Treatment Works - Loudoun Mill   State Treatment Works and Loudoun Mill at Irvingbank.
(1885) Not open to the Public.
The Loudoun mill was commissioned in 1884 with the production of metallic tin beginning in 1885 when two furnaces of the reverberatory type were built. The mill originally had a five head of stamps.
 
By 1893 with the expansion of the plant ten additional head of stamps were added. In 1900, a further five head were added, followed by a further five in 1901. In 1904 an addition of another ten head brought the total to 40.

The first town dam was built 1884 to provide water for the mill. It has been washed away several times with the present wall built in 1943. The Queensland State Government purchased the Loudoun Mill on the 25th October 1919 and renamed it the State Treatment Works. The works remained in the hands of the Queensland government until 1984 when it was occupied by a private operator.

The Queensland Government regained control of the works in 2004. The State Treatment works is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Heritage Register of the National Estate.

Irvinebank Tramway Station   .Irvingbank Tramway Station
(1907) Not open to the Public.
Part of the State Treatment Works property, the little two foot gauge tramway ran from Irvinebank to Stannary Hills and then to Boonmoo which was on the Mareeba/Chillagoe line.
Irvinebank Tramway Engine Irvinebank Tramway Station
 
It carried paying passengers as well as freight and at its peak ran two trains per day.
. .
Old Post and Telegraph Office   Post Office and Telegraph Office at Irvingbank
(1907) Open to the public.
Tin Town Gallery
The first post and telegraph services in Irvinebank were conduced from Jack and Newell's Store. The official Post Office was transferred from near by town of Montalbion in 1899.
 
In 1907 the new Post and Telegraph Office was built on the corner of High Street and McDonald Street.

The telephone exchange was opened in August 1908. The Post Office was closed in 1933 and it operated as an agency until 1966 when postal services were transferred to the Australian Hotel, now the Irvinebank Tavern. The old Post Office now operates as Tin Town Gallery, featuring local arts and crafts.
.

Irvinebank State School  

Irvingbank Sate School
(1889)
The first Educational facility in Irvinebank was a private school established in 1885 by Mrs. Janet McTavish.

On the 1st November 1886 Mrs. McTavish was appointed first teacher for the new Provisional school which operated out of the first school of arts building.

 
By 1888 the community wanted a State School to replace the Provisional school. A new State School No. 0519 along with a residence was built in 1889 and still operates today as a one teacher school.
.
Irvinebank Police Station and Courtroom   Police station and Courtroom at Irvingbank
(1886 & 1906) Open to the Public.
The building was completed on the 13th December 1886 and two policemen moved into the new station on the 24th December 1886. By 1906 the station had become to small for the area and a new courtroom was added.
 
With a falling population and the Depression the station was closed in January 1933 but was re-opened in March 1935. The Station was closed permanently in January 1965 and is now rented privately.
.
The Vulcan Mine poppet head

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vulcan Mine, Irvingbank, Queensland, Australia
(1889)
Discovered by Italian wood-cutters, this mine was the main stay of tin production in Irvinebank.

The Vulcan lode was developed into Australia's deepest (1440 feet) and richest tin mine and had a working life of over 40 years.

The Vulcan mine is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and the Australian Heritage Register of the National Estate.. .

 
 

Loudoun House Museum
c/o Post Office, Irvinebank, 4887
ph / fax
(07)40964020
Email .
Irvinebank School of Arts & Progress Association Inc
c/o Secretary
c/o Post Office, Irvinebank, 4887

Irvinebank Tavern and Cabins
Post Office, store, fuels, fuel, Eftpos, cabins, meals, free camping. There's been a hotel on this site since 1884. Ph:07 40964176
DARK Tag-A-Long Tours
Website, Email
Enjoy guided tours of historic Irvinebank and the surrounding outback all from the comfort of your own 4WD.
Tin Town Gallery
Email Situated in the old Irvinebank Post and Telegraph Office, Tim Town Gallery offers the visitor local arts and crafts. Phone 40964009.

Other Places
of Interest
.
Ibis Dam
Ibis Dam - built in 1906 and is the town water supply.
.
Mango Cottage
Mango Cottage - miner's cottage built in 1906.
.
Freethinker Cottage
Freethinker Cottage
-a private collection of old mining gear.
.
Irvinebank Cemetery
Cemetery
-among the headstones you will find such prominent former resident's like surgeon, missionary and astronomer Dr. McFarlane and Constable Edward Lannigan who was shot while in the execution of his duty.
.
Henry Dalziel Oval
Henry Dalziel Oval - named in honour of local Victoria Cross winner Henry Dalziel.
.
Mrs Amy Stevens dressed as Annie Bags at fancy dress ball Irvinebank..JPG
.
Loco 0-4-0 Baby.JPG
.
Nat Cockrel and performing dogs
.
School of Arts Hall, 1907.jpg
.
One of the arial ropeway towers to the Govener Norman mine
.
Mining magazine and forge
.
Special train for Irvinebank combined Sunday School picnic 1919
.
The old Australian Hotel, Irvinebank
text
Irvinebank, North Queensland
WELCOME   LOCATION   HISTORY   HERITAGE BUILDINGS   LOUDOUN HOUSE MUSEUM   CONTACT US
counter customizable free hit